Thursday, November 4, 2010

Superhero Moment?

Two days ago Arlo and I were visiting our friend Anna. Everything was as it should have been. Afternoon light was streaming through the window. Anna and I were discussing her artwork...perhaps we were also eating grapes...the purple variety...when all of a sudden Anna gasped. I spun around, following her panicked eyes only to meet a teak cupboard falling on top of Arlo. I leaped to my feet, dove and threw the cupboard...oh, about 5 feet...away from Arlo. Although glass shattered on and all around him...he wasn't crushed {or cut}. I remember thinking to myself...in that kind of slow-motion-before-catastrophe-hits kind of way, "Wow, I totally just threw Anna's furniture". After inspecting Arlo and talking about the statistics of deaths to children due to furniture...Anna attempted to lift the cupboard back on to its feet. She couldn't do it. "Do you need some help?" I offered. Anna had watched me throw the cupboard across the room. It seemed practically insane...impossible...that she would need any help at all lifting this seemingly weightless cupboard. Regardless, I gave her a hand...make that two hands...and with a whole lot of effort...the two of us managed to set it upright again.
Superhero moment?Last night while teaching a knitting class, fruit flies were abundant. Everyone was swatting, clapping and flicking the annoying creatures out of their sight. However with all their efforts, no one actually made contact. Finally, I joined in on the fruit fly hunt. It seemed too easy...too easy indeed...but every time I made a swat, a clap or a flick...the fruit fly would fall lifelessly to the table. "How are you doing it?" my students asked. "Everyone knows fruit flies are virtually impossible to kill."
Superhero moment?Tonight we bought a new, old car. It's a lovely beast. Full of tank-like materials...as well as heated seats and robot arm cup holders. Hugh was so excited to check out every single nook and cranny of our new, old car. I enjoyed watching him. As the sun began to set, I beckoned him to come inside. Just as I was stepping onto our porch, I heard him scream. I spun around and immediately identified the ol' fingers shut in the car door mishap. I ran over...opened the door...freed his throbbing fingers and held him tightly. After a few popsicles...ice packs...tylenol...physical and mental therapy...popsicles...ice cream...physical and mental therapy, he asked, "Where were you? Why did you let this happen? YOU should have been there to make sure the car door didn't slam on my fingers?"
Silence.I. Wish. I. Were. A. Superhero.
xo

*A special thanks to Arlo for playing the role of superhero for tonight's post.

4 comments:

Uncle Jamie said...

I think with Anna's art skills and your abilities to both spin a story and be a real life super hero that a comic book is in your future.

It would have to be a super hero with super hero strengths AND the ability to knit at the speed of light.

This has potential!!!

Uncle Jamie said...

Oh with a trusty side kick that looks an awful lot like Charlie Chaplin . . .

Hugh&Arlo said...

If only I knew a book publisher...if only...

anna said...

oh Arlo pants we over here at 23 Worsley are just so so so so so thankful that you weren't hurt in anyway. Thanks, in no small part, to the superhuman strength of your mother.

And those pictures of Arlo Chaplin.....too cute for words.

anna