Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Day & The Flourless Chocolate Cake

Tonight we hosted our 2nd annual New Year's Day dinner celebration. I took a chance and omitted the traditional dish of good luck - Ham and Black Eyed Peas. Partly because nobody believes in my ritual and partly because I so desperately wanted to eat Butter Chicken. As I was buzzing around the kitchen melting butter, sauteing garlic and pinching spices...I had a brilliant idea - Share Butter Chicken Recipe With All - Even the pickiest palates will devour bite after bite of this delicious meal. It is bound to go down in your history cookbooks as Fave. Meal. Ever. And in my excitement of recipe sharing...I even thought of an adaptation for vegetarians - leave out the chicken!!! ah-HA. Simply perfect for all. Even for the children.

Just as I was twisting my arm around to pat myself on the back and imagining the millions of comments praising the simplicity yet gourmet sensibility of our beloved recipe, our dinner guests arrived....with competition - Flourless Chocolate Cake.Butter Chicken Who? aka. Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe -
6 Tbsp unsalted butter + butter for greasing pan
1 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
6 large egg yolks
6 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar

Set oven to 275F. Place rack in centre. Butter bottom and sides of a springform pan. Place butter and chocolate chips in bowl - microwave in 30 second increments until melted (about 3 times). Whisk in yolks.
Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar. Beat until thick and glossy.
Whisk 1/4 of egg whites into chocolate chips gently. Then pat chocolate mixture into the whites.
Pour into pan.
Bake until cake pulls away from sides about 45-50 minutes. Let cool then remove from pan.

1 comments:

Uncle Jamie said...

Not only sounds tasty but it looks like it was a hit with the judges . . .