Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Family Pet

Today a grasshopper hopped into the depths of our shallow green pool. Luckily Hugh was standing nearby. "It's a real rescue mission!" he shouted as he splashed and dunked the insect before lifting him gently onto the palm of his hand. Hugh decided the lawn would be the best place for a grasshopper to recover from a near drowning accident. Yes, grass. Grasshopper. Grass. Sounded logical to us. We watched over our new friend as he stood in the blades of recovery. Not that I am terribly pessimistic, but...well, I was pretty sure Grassman {his Hugh-given-name} was...well, sleeping...as in forever. But each gentle poke with a stick proved me wrong. It was then decided that Grassman needed some food to help him regain his strength. "What do grasshoppers eat?" Hugh asked. I didn't have a clue. Grass? No wait. Do they eat the grass or live in the grass? Insects? Bugs? Ants? Whoa. Are insects and bugs the same thing? What category does the ant fall in? Oh my gosh. What's wrong with me...I can't even answer this somewhat simple 4 year old question. I curse you art school! I took a deep breath and said "Grass, insects, bugs and ants." And so...we collected exactly, one ant, one rolly-polly bug {named by yours truly}, one insect-y looking thing and a pile of freshly picked grass. Although Grassman hasn't touched any of his food assortment {minus the grass which also is serving as his 'nest' on Hugh's window sill}, he is miraculously still alive. I have a feeling tomorrow we may be looking for a matchbox to bury our dear friend in...eeks, guess I am a pessimist...but for now, we'll call him our new family pet.

0 comments: