Monday, June 1, 2009

Star Chart

David and I decided to introduce a Star Chart to Hugh. We thought it sounded like a wonderful tool to track his behaviour and such. However...there was one teensy problem. We were not entirely sure how the whole charting thing works. So before we launched our idea to Hugh we had to agree on a chart plan:
What kind of star stickers would we use? {this was my main concern...such an important one, yes?}
How can we make the chart really, really, really pretty? {again, yours truly.}
What does Hugh have to do to earn a sticker? {rub mummy's feet...cook dinner....}

This afternoon, we presented the Star Chart to Hugh. He didn't quite get it. Mostly because my explanation was way too winded and I really started to babble once I thought he was on to me that I didn't really know what I was talking about. Albeit his confusion and my lousy presentation, he perked right up when he heard, "star stickers"!

So we started simple: Tidy {up after yourself} Arlo {be gentle to him}And then ended with the impossibles:
Listening {to us}
and Potty {as in go IN the potty}.

By the end of the day, Hugh earned 3 out of 4 stars. I was worried he might be disappointed that he didn't receive a perfect 4 star rating...but he said,
"Of course I got 3 stars, I'm 3!"{clearly we need to fine tune a few details on the chart...like making it pretty...and getting the right day of the week correct!}

xo

0 comments: