Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Long John

Hugh loves to make-up words...I do too...but mostly I don't know I'm making them up. His words are usually descriptors of a machine or tool and are so convincing and very clever that I must admit at times I believe him. For instance, his favourite way to describe a particular unknown machine is "Oh that...that's a winching pole." Ah, the old winching pole machine...sure, that sounds right.
So today when La-La {our next door neighbour} presented Hugh with a hand crafted hammer, Hugh exclaimed, "La-La! It's a long john hammer." He went on to describe it's purpose which included playing golf. La-La told us he hadn't realized Hugh would know the actual name of the tool. "Do you think Hugh learned the name in a book? I just kind of created this tool not knowing another existed."
The wordsmith {I may or may not have just made-up that word. I'm not even going to google it to find out.} strikes again...And am I ever relieved to know I'm not the only one to fall victim to his cleverness!
xo

Update: Another victim. After reading this post, Daddy questioned "Is that what it's really called?".

0 comments: