Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Thank you

When I was a child the one task I can honestly say I dreaded with the purest of childhood dread, was writing my annual after-holiday thank you cards. I can remember sitting in our guest room...bellied up to the desk {that I believe was only ever used for writing after-holiday thank you cards} desperately thinking of the fastest way to fill the entire note....like writing the word 'thank you' really, really big then signing off with an equally big...if not bigger, 'love, peg'. Expressing gratefulness was clearly not my forte. But fortunately, with my mother's consistency, determination and gentle nudges, she taught me not only the enjoyment and art of letter writing, but also the significance of a simple, thank you. So with a little help from ink pads, glue sticks, yarn, scissors, markers and very delicious, strong coffee, we managed to pump out three...that's right...1. 2. 3. cards for people and two cards for machines. {Because apparently we just can't do anything without somehow incorporating heavy machinery} We still have many more letters to create, but for today we are feeling very well accomplished. And amidst it all, I am certain I felt a small pat on my back from my 10 year old self.
xo

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice reflection on me... Thank you! I remember myself at the age of ten or so, sitting down in the den to write the obligataory notes to distant aunts and uncles and not having a clue about what to say. Nana would be so pleased that the tradition lives on!

Love, Mom