Friday, February 26, 2010

Guest Starring Miles :: The Performance

Standing in front of 11 pairs of eager ears, Hugh and Miles gave a performance of a lifetime. They stood proud...and loud playing their beloved violins for their nursery school mates.They kicked off the concerto with their signature, Mississippi Hotdog. A tune played using only the E string. They followed and ended with, I Wish I Had A Motorcycle...also played solely with the E string. And as a surprising twist, Hugh called out to everyone to sing along. Sing along? Sure, why not. I wish I had a motorcycle. I wish I had a motorcycle. I wish I had a motorcycle. I wish I had a motorcycle. I wish I had a motorcycle. I wish I had a motorcycle. I wish I had a motorcycle. I wish I had a motorcycle.
It could have continued on and on...and it may have if it weren't for Hugh's sudden lift of his bow high into the air. He then swung his violin under his arm and took a deep...very deep bow. We knew then, and only then the piece had come to an end. All of us applauded...and by all, I mean... minus the one who covered her ears. Bravo Maestro Hugh. Bravo Maestro Miles.
xo

4 comments:

Ja'mum said...

Thank goodness I wasn't eating cauliflower soup while reading this time. Aaaahhhhh. Love.

steven said...

I've always loved "Mississippi Hotdog", especially the early '30s recording by the famed Hobo "Knuckleknees Dan from Omaha". Truly a breathtaking piece of musical theater. Excellent job, Hugh!

hugh&arlo said...

ah steven! this gave us a good old chuckle...i think i shall call hugh's first album 'knuckleknees Dan from Omaha'...speaking of, you do produce music, yes? xo

steven said...

Hi Peg!
I ran an indie record label for 11 years (as a hobby, not as my real job) but gave it up in 2004. I would gladly pick up where I left off, however, to put out a split LP of Miles/Hugh Hobo jamz on side A and Henry's harmonica/drum/tamborine noise collages on the flip side.