Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hugh's Valentine's Day Card

When most people find out they are pregnant, the first purchase they make is a book called, What to Expect When You're Expecting. When I found out I was pregnant {with Hugh}, the first purchase I made was a glossy magazine called, Martha Stewart's Kids Craft. For me, being a mother meant one thing, "CRAFTS!". I felt it terribly important that our growing fetus would need to know how to cut out a snowflake...how to work a glue gun...how to paint Easter eggs {with natural dyes, just as Martha would do}. Eventually, I was given a book on pregnancy, but it was always the craft magazines that really pumped me up for our new arrival.Imagine my shock when our 3 week old couldn't properly cut with scissors. At 8 weeks of age he couldn't decoupage. And I was most amazed that at the ripe old age of 6 months he wasn't at all interested in learning to knit.But now...but NOW...AT LAST...we are beginning to feel the craft vibe. Don't get me wrong, it's not something we do everyday. And I am often on hands and knees begging {and bribing} for a craft companion. But when a holiday comes calling...you better believe we are all cutting, gluing, glittering, felting...you name it...we are crafting up a storm. Martha would be so proud!
xo

4 comments:

Nana said...

Not only is Martha proud, but Nana is also proud! Hugh and Arlo, in case you didn't know it, you have a very talented Mummy.

erika said...

I too love Martha. I wish she still made that magazine.
Did you cut all those hearts out? They are just perfect! Martha would be very proud.

hugh&arlo said...

what happened to that magazine? it was so good...
as much as i would love to say i cut those hearts out...they are actually felt stickers.
thank you erika for you kind words...you too nana!!!1
xopd.

Lisa T. said...

Peg! So cute.
I try to "craft" with Henry but gosh at 11 months he is just too young. hahaha
These are very sweet!