Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Meet Builder

"Mooooommmmmmyyyyy, time to come upstairs and play Builder!!", screams Hugh from his bedroom. If we ever cross your mind during the day...and you wonder what we are up to...you might as well answer yourself, 'Playing Builder.' We created an imaginary...ongoing construction site in Hugh's room about a year ago. I play the voice of 'Builder' {whose accent wobbles between an Englishman and Gomer Pyle}. Hugh is commander of the construction site. He is the machine operator, architect, demolition expert and task master. Arlo is the foreman. Always the foreman...a job I wouldn't so much mind trading with him. You see, as Builder, it is my job to play with a machine chosen by commander Hugh. I don't always agree with his choices. One time, he gave me a wheelbarrow missing its wheel. So really it was just a barrow. He had all sorts of tasks for my barrow. Another day I was given a broken plastic scoop. Not the machine...just its missing scoop. Unfortunately I made it look too interesting and he decided it was his turn to play with it.
"Here Mummy...I mean Builder...you take this."A two-dimensional, painted puzzle piece of a bulldozer. For the life of me, I cannot make this look desirable enough for Hugh to take back. And so day after day, I push my flat bulldozer back and forth across the construction site....back and forth...and back again. Oh the sacrifices we mothers builders make to keep our sons bosses happy!xo

0 comments: