Monday, July 27, 2009

Swimming Lesson: Day 1

For the next 5 days we will be following Hugh as he dares to dip his toes, elbows and maybe his button nose in the lake.

Swimming Lesson: Day 1
With huge black clouds and gusty winds greeting us this morning I started to feel a little nervous for Hugh's first swimming lesson. Hugh, like his mother, prefers {read: requires} perfect conditions before going into the lake...such as a hot, hot, hot sun, no wind, blue sky, sounds of birds chirping, green grass, clear water, no waves and no fish. We're not picky...
Hugh surprised me with his go get 'em attitude as he put on his suit, water shoes and life jacket without complaint. He marched over to the our lesson destination looking like a real Steve Zissou {reference The Life Aquatic}.
The class began out of the water with simple introductions: "My name is Hugh and I like hamburgers".The lesson was moving along swimmingly {sorry, I just had to} and it was time to get in the water. Again, Hugh surprised me being the first one in his class to step in the lake.
He took approximately 5 more shivering steps away from the shore before turning around returning safely to dry land.
"Come On HUGH!" begged the instructor
"No thank YOU!" replied Hugh
The remainder of the swimming lesson was spent on my lap as we studied the other children's progress. At one point I had a little flicker of hope as Hugh got out of my lap and followed the class to the dock where they were learning to jump in the lake. He stood in the queue looking quite courageous and then with a graceful turn on his heel he walked back down the dock...into the grass...and on to my lap.

And so concludes Swimming Lesson: Day 1

xo

0 comments: